Can we sue the business regarding the venue where we got married for not providing the food, drinks and decor that we requested and paid for?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can we sue the business regarding the venue where we got married for not providing the food, drinks and decor that we requested and paid for?

We recently got married at an out of town place. It was the destination for our ceremony and reception. We paid for a specific alcohol to be served for the toast and they didnt have it at all. We requested a certain color of tablecloths, and they asked us if it would be OK if they used another color in the mix of the one we want since they don’t have enough cloths of the color we want. We said sure, go half/half. They went full on the other color without any further discussion. They told us a salad would be at every guests seat when they entered for the reception. I requested something different as I have a minor allergic reaction to fresh salad ingredients. I was served a salad so I didnt get to eat that. I asked many times about a food tasting and it was never scheduled. I can’t find it anywhere in our emails that I told them what exactly we wanted, nor did they even ask what we wanted. They did some good guessing but there was 1 buffet meal option that wasn’t at all that I wanted served.

Asked on September 24, 2019 under Business Law, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can try to sue, but only for the actual monetary "loss" you suffered from them not providing what you requested. For example, you paid for (for this example) $1,000 worth of a certain alcohol, but they substituted $700 worth of a different one--you could sue for the $300 you overpaid. You were not served an appetizer you ordered and paid for: you can get the value of the appetizers not served (e.g. for you, and for anyone else who could not eat the salad), or if what you ordered for everyone else was, for example, $10.00 each for 100 people, or $1,000 in total, but instead they served a salad that goes for $7 each on their menu, or $700 total, you overpaid by $300 and could sue for that. Etc.
The law only provides compensation for the actual economic value of what you overpaid or were deprived of: therefore, if they are over an hour away, it might not be worth suing.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption