Can we sue our lawyer for negligence?

UPDATED: Aug 19, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 19, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can we sue our lawyer for negligence?

About 8 months ago, my fiancee started proceedings to file bankruptcy due to debt incurred from his recent divorce. We hired a lawyer in NY, paid him in full, and went to court. There were some other issues that needed to be resolved and some additional documents needed by the trustee, however, we received a notice from the trustee that the documents had not been received and had tried several times to contact the lawyer. Needless to say, our phone calls were not returned and eventually we were not able to even leave a message as the box was full.

Asked on August 19, 2011 Tennessee


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you have suffered some actual loss or detriment due the lawyer's inaction--e.g. been sued on a debt that should have been discharged in bankruptcy--you may have a legal malpractice claim against your lawyer for the losses you suffered. For this purpose, a "loss" includes paying your attorney for work he never did or did wrong. If you think was the case, you should speak with another attorney, one who handles or has experience with legal malpractice claims, to evalute whether you have a cause of action, what it might be worth, how strong it is, etc.

If you didn't suffer some monetary loss or injury, you probably don't have a claim worth pursuing--though you may still want to contact the state attorney licensing board (it should be an arm of your state court system) to file an ethics complaint against the lawyer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption