Can we require our tenant to remove the excessive number of boxes in the house?

UPDATED: Feb 18, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 18, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can we require our tenant to remove the excessive number of boxes in the house?

Our tenant/landlord lease agreement states the house is to remain “in as good a condition as when it was received”. The key that we possess opens a door which is currently blocked with boxes. We could not enter the home in an emergency. The tenant will not make copies of the key to another door. We sent a registered letter telling her she needed to get the boxes moved to allow us access to the house. The house is listed with a realtor. The tenant told us the home can only be shown when she is there.

Asked on February 18, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Missouri


Glenn M. Lyon, Esq. / MacGregor Lyon, LLC.

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I don't think the boxes being in the house would be an issue, but the fact that the door is blocked would be a breach of the lease.  And your rights regarding entering are in the lease.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption