Can we press charges against someone we bought a crib from on Craigslist?

UPDATED: Jan 7, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 7, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can we press charges against someone we bought a crib from on Craigslist?

She sold it to us without the hardware, and when we called the company to try to get the parts, they said that because the crib is over 10 years old, it was illegal for her to sell it to us based on the consumer regulations. They also cannot provide the hardware for us. Is it legal for us to file action against her and get our money back for the crib?

Asked on January 7, 2013 under Business Law, Nevada


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Unless the prson that you bought the crib from knew that the item was illegal to be sold you have no basis for a legal or criminal action. Albeit you do have the right to sue the person for your money back. Rather than filing suit immediately, I suggest that you contact the seller and ask for your money back in return for the crib.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption