Can we pay the bankruptcy trustee on our own and not have the payment come directly from our paycheck?

UPDATED: Jul 27, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 27, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can we pay the bankruptcy trustee on our own and not have the payment come directly from our paycheck?

We don’t want our employers to know. Also, when filing a Chapter 13, so what if we get a large amount back in taxes a few months after we are in the program?

Asked on July 27, 2013 under Bankruptcy Law, Oregon


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You would need to account for those tax refunds with the trustee; otherwise, you can jeapordize the outcome of your case. You can petition the court to include the request and see if that will help but the court will need a method to track to ensure payment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption