Can we make our insurance give us our recoverable depreciation funds immediately?

UPDATED: Jul 16, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 16, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can we make our insurance give us our recoverable depreciation funds immediately?

They are withholding a large portion of our repair funds until the work is completed. I don’t understand how they can expect 100% of the work to be completed without releasing 100% of the money to do it. Is there a way we can get the total amount owed to us all at once?

Asked on July 16, 2010 under Insurance Law, Ohio


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, insurance companies do not give you the total amount upfront.  You are to give invoices and amounts based on the work being completed.  As it is going to be completed or already completed, the draw will be sent to you from the insurance company for payment.  The final payment will cover the remaining portion of the work done.  It is never given completely up front because the insurance company wants to ensure the money is being used for proper and complete repair and therefore the intent is to protect its interest in the property.   If it appears the amounts are delayed significantly or less than what you were promised, file a complaint with your state's department of insurance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption