Can we make our apartment complex pay for property damage for not warning us about a sprinkler system test?

UPDATED: Jun 13, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 13, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can we make our apartment complex pay for property damage for not warning us about a sprinkler system test?

My wife was walking to her car in front of our apartment complex. Without warning the sprinkler system, a maintenance man was working on next to her, turned on the system for a test and the sewage water got all over her. Her $300 purse and shoes got damaged and now we want them to pay.

Asked on June 13, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You could try suing. The issue would be whether or not what the maintenance man did was reasonable. For example, would a reasonable person have made some kind of warning or announcment of a test? If so, you may have a claim for compensation, on the grounds that the loss was caused by negligence (not being as careful as the average "reasonable" person would have been in that situation). If the answer is no--the typical reasonable person would not have warned or done something different--then you probably don't have a claim. Given the cost of a lawsuit versus what you could sue for (only for the cost or value of what was destroyed), if you're going to sue, it would most likely make sense to represent yourself in small claims court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption