Can we legally get out of a contract that the service provider says is valid under the realm of “promissory estoppel” ?

UPDATED: Oct 29, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 29, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can we legally get out of a contract that the service provider says is valid under the realm of “promissory estoppel” ?

The provider was not capable of doing all of the work needed and there was no signed contract.

Asked on October 29, 2013 under Business Law, Arizona


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If the service provider was incapable of doing the work you contracted for, then the contract is voidable.  It sounds as if the provider is making the argument that he relied on your promise to contract with him for the services to his detriment and that obligates you to go through with the deal and pay him.  However, if the provider did not and can not provide what he promised to provider, then he is in breach of the contract and you do not have to pay him.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption