How can we fight a collection agency?

UPDATED: Nov 4, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 4, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can we fight a collection agency?

We broke our lease because we were shot at, vandalized, and stolen from. We gave them police reports and our notice to vacate and even paid rent for the next month. A few months later we got a notice from a collection agent saying we owed $8000. Since then we have been harassed at work. Can we fight this. We already sent a dispute letter to all of the credit unions.

Asked on November 4, 2010 under Bankruptcy Law, Arizona


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

By hiring an attorney to help you here.  You broke a contract and the landlord had every right to sue you for the remainder of the contract.  Why you need to seek an attorney is because you need a really good real estate attorney to find you a basis for the breach under the law in your state.  Was the warranty of habitability broken?  Did the landlord breach first in some way thereby nullifying the lease?  Did those actions give you a right to void the lease?  You need something to go by here to fight this.  Maybe seek help from a tenant's rights organization that knows the law as well.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption