can we cancel our divorce?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

can we cancel our divorce?

my wife and i were going through a really bad pach in our relationship about 2 months ago. i filed for a divorce and we had our prelimanary hearing already. medeation was ordered at that hearing. we have since then worked our problems out and want to stay together. can we cancel our divorce or do we need to go through with it? we have been married for about 4 years together for almost 9 and have 3 children together.

Asked on April 26, 2016 under Family Law, Indiana


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Your divorce can be cancelled by filing a Request for Dismissal (court form) with the court.  The form may vary from state to state, but you want to check the appropriate boxes for dismissal of all causes of action / dismissal of entire case.
If the dismissal is with prejudice, that means the case cannot be reinstated.  If the dismissal is without prejudice, that means the case can be reinstated in the future.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption