Can we be sued by the person who rear-ended our farm tractor on the highway?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can we be sued by the person who rear-ended our farm tractor on the highway?

My husband was driving his tractor on a highway in the evening with his flashers on and was rear ended by a lady who hit the tractor tire. Her vehicle flipped and our tractor tire rim/tire was ruined. She was transported to the hospital. This accident happened 6 months ago and now she is suing us 6 months later for personal injury. Her insurance company took responsibility and said that their

customer was a fault. The police report also stated that she was at fault. My question is do we let our insurance company handle this or do we need to hire a lawyer even though we were hit by this lady that is suing us?

Asked on October 28, 2017 under Accident Law, Indiana


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Since the other driver was at fault, she has no grounds for a lawsuit against you.
Refer the matter to your insurance company which will provide you with an attorney at no cost to you and will handle the case for you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption