Can we be held responsible as an accessory or otherwise if we know someone defrauded an estate.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can we be held responsible as an accessory or otherwise if we know someone defrauded an estate.

A family member acted as executor of an estate and claimed to be the sole beneficiary but never filed the will and denied the other beneficiaries his 4 sisters equal share of the estates. He

Asked on August 19, 2017 under Estate Planning, Maryland


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You are not an accessory or otherwise liable if you innocently helped someone who committed a fraud; BUT once you know that someone is defrauding others or otherwise acting illegally, if you provide assistance or support to him in any way in  regards to his wrongful act, you might be liable. So now that you know this person is cheating others, do NOT help him with the house in any way. Keep your distance from the situation, now that you have knowledge of what is happening.
You are not required by law to report wrongdoing--just to not assist it in any way.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption