Can use an asset (home) I intend to surrender as an expense on the means test in Oregon?

UPDATED: Jun 8, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 8, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can use an asset (home) I intend to surrender as an expense on the means test in Oregon?

We are borderline as far as passing the means test, but only because we are using our house payment. We plan to surrender the house which has 2 mortgages. Will they allow this as an expense in Oregon on the means test?

Asked on June 8, 2009 under Bankruptcy Law, Oregon


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

This is not something we can definitively answer herein unfortunately.  Bankruptcy law is quite complicated and there isn't enough here to fully determine it.  It all depends on if there are any federal components, what are the assets and debts you have, etc.

Do not (and I always say this) attempt a bankruptcy on your own.  You need to at least consult with a bankruptcy attorney before you move forward.  Try and check his or her record at the Oregon State Bar.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption