Can traveling to certain countries hinder or put my chance of being naturalized at risk?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can traveling to certain countries hinder or put my chance of being naturalized at risk?

So I am a green card holder that have been waiting to apply for citizenship
since 2012. I am planning on visiting few Asian countries, which includes
Indonesia, Myanmar, Cambodia, Vietnam, and Philippines, in July to do
some volunteer work and just to travel as well. I was just wondering if
traveling to these countries can hinder or put my chance of being
naturalized at risk?

Asked on June 14, 2016 under Immigration Law


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

No, it should not affect your ability to naturalize as long as you are not outside the US for too long, thereby terminating or risking the termination of your green card status.  Just be sure that if you plan to be outside the US for more than 6 months you obtain a reentry permit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption