If I’m sponsoring my husband, can the government force us to get a joint sponsor if my income does not meet the poverty guidelines?

UPDATED: Apr 4, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 4, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’m sponsoring my husband, can the government force us to get a joint sponsor if my income does not meet the poverty guidelines?

My husband went to the interview at the consulate (he’s abroad) and was told that he should get my most recent tax return and that if it was still too low, we’d need a joint sponsor. Unfortunately, I still don’t meet the requirements. We do have the difference in cash but it seems the consulate doesn’t care for that. I understand the poverty level is important but I don’t consider us “poor”; my husband owns a house in his home country. Any help is much appreciated, we really have no one who could be a joint sponsor.

Asked on April 4, 2013 under Immigration Law, California


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Yes, they can make you show that you have a joint sponsor if your own income and/or assets are insufficient.  A joint sponsor can be anyone who is a US citizen or US permanent resident.  It does not have to be a relative.  If your husband has liquid assets abroad, he can transfer them to the US and you can then show the difference x3 in cash between what is required and what you are able to show.  Without evidence of sufficient sponsorship, his visa will simply not be issued.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption