Can they force me to plea without representation?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can they force me to plea without representation?

I got caught with weed but I didn’t say it was mine and the car was not mine. I went to the courthouse and ask them what was going to happen and they told me that had to plead and the only way I could get representation is if I plea not guilty and go to trail. The 6th Amendment say they can’t do that right? I’m supposed to have someone represent me from start to finish and they should have time to review the case right?

Asked on January 30, 2019 under Criminal Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

It is likely you did not quite understand. To get a lawyer, you must initially plead not guilty, since if you choose to plead guitly immediately, there is no need or opportunity for representation. You plead not guilty; another appearance date is set for the future; you retain a lawyer (or if you can't afford an attorney, get a court-appointed one); then the lawyer can certainly try to negotiate a plea. A plea may be agreed to and accepted at any time they want to offer you one and you want to accept it prior to a verdict being rendered, so an initial not guilty plea does not bar you from accepting a plea bargan later.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption