Can they fire me for not working overtime if it was never stated before hire??

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can they fire me for not working overtime if it was never stated before hire??

started my job with a schedule of
10am-7pm. After working there for a
couple weeks they wanted my staying
after 7pm. I explained to them I was not
signed on for this that I have kids to
pick up. It’s got to the point now where
they are telling me to work late or force
me to quit. If the fire me for this reason
is there anything I can do about it??

Asked on June 6, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Unless this action violates company policy, an enmpolyment contract or union agreemnt, it is legal. Also, this treatment must not constitute some form of legally actionable discrimination. Otherwise, a company is free to set the terms of employment much as it sees fit. This includes changing the hours that an employee's is scheduled to include overtime. The fact is that a worker has no right not to have their hours extended. Additionally, an employee may be terminated for not accepting overtime hours, or for any reason, or for no reason at all, with or without notice.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption