Can the father of my daughter tell me what I can and can’t do with my daughter when she is with me?

UPDATED: Dec 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 10, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can the father of my daughter tell me what I can and can’t do with my daughter when she is with me?

My daughters father does not want her to be able to see my ex boyfriend who had been there since her birth. He ha threatened to get protection or restraining orders against him. My ex still wants to be in my daughter’s life and I do not have a problem with it. I was wondering I her father could do this, or if I am able to take her over to see my ex regardless of what her father says?

Asked on December 10, 2012 under Family Law, Colorado


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Absent a court order to the contrary, your daughter's father has no say under the laws of all states in this country to force you to do what he wants you to do or not do when you have physical custody of your daughter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption