Can the executor of my late grandfather’s estates change the lock on me and not let me into the house without an eviction notice?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can the executor of my late grandfather’s estates change the lock on me and not let me into the house without an eviction notice?

My grandfather recently passed away and I live at his house along with my father. We are in the process of moving out of the house and the executor of the state came and change the lock and put a no trespassing sign on the door with no eviction notice. Can he do that?

Asked on May 8, 2019 under Estate Planning, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

The police are wrong. While he does have the legal right to remove or exclude you from the property (since he controls it, and neither you nor your father were owners), 1) he has to do so properly and legally, through the courts (by what is traditionally called an action "for ejectment": that is, eviction for nontenants, or people who are not paying rent to live there); and 2) he cannot keep you away from your own belongings. Go to your local county clerk's office and explain what happened; they should give you the correct forms to file to get a court hearing on relatively short notice to get back into the home, at least temporarily, and get your possessions. Traditionally, you would bring claims for unlawful "detainer" (being locked out improperly) and "distraint" (separating you from your belongings), but your state may have different names for these actions.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption