Can the divorce process be stopped?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can the divorce process be stopped?

I just signed divorce papers Tuesday and Wednesday some interesting information about an affair came to my attention. I was wondering if the divorce process can be stopped? Also, this person with information is wanting me to pay them for the evidence is there a way around this?

Asked on December 23, 2016 under Family Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You don't indicate what "papers" you signed. If they were the papers to *start* a divorce case, then yes, you can stop the case (assuming that in this situation, yoiu were the one who initiated the case). However, if they were the papers *concluding* or finishing divorce (e.g. the final divorce agreement), it's too late--by signing, you agreed to the terms and cannot take that agreement back.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption