Can the county take all property from a home after it has been condemmed

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can the county take all property from a home after it has been condemmed

Hi, My mother in Law recently had her hurricane damaged house condemmed by the
county, The county went ahead and hired a company to raise the house. At the same
time they went ahead and took the boat that was in the yard as well as the above
ground swimming pool, lawn mowers and several other things. I am wondering what
legal recourse she has if any and does the government really have that much
control that they can just come in and take EVERYTHING?

Asked on May 30, 2019 under Real Estate Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

No, they cannot take personal property from the home: they may be able to move it/store it elsewhere for safety reasons, and if they do may be able to seek reimbursement of moving and storage costs, but that's the most they can do. Condemning real estate does not give the government ownership of any vehicles or other personal property. She can sue the government for the value of what they took; because suing the government is more complicated than suing private citizens, she is advised to retain an attorney to help her.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption