can the company charge me the deductible from there insurance policy

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

can the company charge me the deductible from there insurance policy

I work at a car dealership. I accentaiiy backed
into an object bending the bumper. The
company has a 1000.00 deductible. They
require me to pay for the deductible. Can they
do this. I’m in Arizona.

Asked on October 4, 2016 under Employment Labor Law


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Yes, they can require you to pay. If you hit a stationary object, you were careless; if you were careless, you were legally at fault; if you are at fault in damaging another's property, you are liable, or responsible to pay, for all their unreimbursed by insurance costs, like their deductible. The fact that you were driving for work does not protect or exempt you from your responsibility to pay.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption