Can spouses immigrate separately?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can spouses immigrate separately?

I am US citizens petioning for my parents to immigrate to
the US from Ukraine. They have an interview scheduled
and went in to get medical exam done. My mom had no
issues, however, they are requesting my dad gets further
testing which takes minimum 8 weeks. They are going to
the interview together. Will they allow my mom to immigrate
first or does she have to wait for my dad?

Asked on August 2, 2018 under Immigration Law, Connecticut


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Each spouse can immigrate separately, even though their applications may be under review at the same time.  Sometimes, INS will conduct interviews jointly simply to save time.  Hopefully, your dad's application will be processed, but it is possible that your mom's is approved and your dad's is not, which will require them to make a decision regarding where to live (together or apart in different countries).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption