Can someone who was raped at the age of 16 or 17 but who is now 18 file charges?

UPDATED: Feb 15, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 15, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can someone who was raped at the age of 16 or 17 but who is now 18 file charges?

How do they go about that? The rape took place in another state.

Asked on February 15, 2015 under Criminal Law, Colorado


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

The statutes of limitations vary by state.  The victim would need to go to the police in the jurisdiction where the rape occurred.  In Colorado, the statute of limitations for sexual assault is 10 years.  The only distinction is drawn if the victim is under 15, not if she was 16, 17 or 18 -- they are all treated the same. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption