Can someone who is not the executor of an estate legally get paid for doing executor work

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can someone who is not the executor of an estate legally get paid for doing executor work

There is a person who was taking care of the
estate before an executor was legally
appointed. Does that person have the legal
right to get paid for the time put in to
maintaining the estate before and even after
someone else was appointed executor?

Asked on July 3, 2019 under Estate Planning, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

They do not have any right to be paid as an executor--only the executor receives that compensation. The executor may *voluntarily* choose to pay someone (e.g. per hour or a fixed rate) for doing work associated with or for the estate, but that is executor's choice: they cannot be required to hire somone to do these things. Someone who is willing or wants to help out with the estate should arrange with the executor to be paid for his/her labor.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption