Can someone who has a judgment awarded collect from you when you are on Social Security disability?

UPDATED: Sep 10, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 10, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can someone who has a judgment awarded collect from you when you are on Social Security disability?

Asked on September 10, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Minnesota


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

SSD payments are what "exempt" funds. What this means is that they cannot be garnished by a judgement creditor. Formally such a creditor could freeze a bank account in an attempt to get this money. If the debtor did not object within a specified timeframe, then the money would be paid over by their bank even though the funds were otherwise exempt. 

Fortunately this is no longer the case. If exempt funds are paid into an account via direct deposit, they cannot be frozen (although other non-exempt money can be). So as long as SSD is directly deposited, that is not deposited by check, a creditor cannot garnish these payments.

Note: Only 2 months worth of benefits are protected. Also, don't transfer benefits to another account since they will then lose their protection.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption