Can someone take you off a car title without your approval/signature?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can someone take you off a car title without your approval/signature?

My ex boyfriend got me a car which he paid $8,000 cash last year. He gave it to me as a gift, I was the only one who had insurance under that car. Now since our break up he wants to take it away claiming he has spoken to a lawyer that it’s possible to get me

off the title without my approval/signature. He offered $2,500 if I agreed to be signed off, no lawyers, or that I can be left with nothing if I don’t agree about lawyers being involved. Is it possible that he can get a lawyer and get me off the title without my approval? I’ve offered him monthly payments but he doesn’t want to work with me.

Asked on March 20, 2017 under Business Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

No, he cannot legally remove you from the title--if you are on the title, you are car's owner, and someone else can only deprive you of ownership of your possessions if there had been a written agreement to that effect (e.g. if you had borrowed money from  him, put the car up as collateral, and then missed making payments on the loan) or otherwise consent/agree to it. If he could legally remove you without your consent, he would not be offering you $2,500 to give the car to him. If he does illegally find a way to change the car's title, such as by forging your signature on a document purporting to transfer the car to him, you can not only sue him to get the car back and/or get it's economic value, but you could press charges against him for some or all of theft, identity theft, forgery, etc.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption