Can someone sue us for something that happened before we were a company?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can someone sue us for something that happened before we were a company?

A lady paid a guy and myself 100 each to load and unload a uhaul. As we began to do this we were then told she needed help unpacking which I told her I couldnt do but the other guy agreed to it. A few week later, I started my company and she left a nasty comment about our service and demanded her money back I gave her the half she paid me but not the other guys half but she wants to sue my company for his $100 too. Can she do this?

Asked on July 30, 2019 under Business Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

No, your company didn't do the work according to what you write--you did. So you could sue you personally, but could sue only for the amount she gave you--and since you gave her the money back, she has no more cause of action against you (she can't get back more than she paid). She needs to sue the other person personally if she feels he owes her money.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption