Can someone sue me for a bill that they had in their name while they were living at my house?

UPDATED: Mar 7, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 7, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can someone sue me for a bill that they had in their name while they were living at my house?

Can someone sue me for a bill that they had in their name while they were living at my house? A woman and her child asked to live with me and my family. She lived with us for 6 months; never paying any bills while she was there. She asked me if I could transfer the gas bill into her name to help build her credit and I agreed. She abruptly left 2 months ago and I immediately transferred the services into my name. She has just recently contacted me and threatened to sue me if I do not pay the bill. Can she do that? We only had the services while she was living there .

Asked on March 7, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

It is entirely possible for the woman that you are writiung about to file a legal action against you with respect to the gas bill and you not paying it. However, from what you have written, it does not seem that she would have a legal and factual basis for bringing the action, and if so, most likely she would not prevail.

After all, was not the service provided in her name and did she not use the gas during the period you are writing about?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption