If a person moves, canthey attend the DUI alcohol program in another state?

UPDATED: Nov 3, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 3, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a person moves, canthey attend the DUI alcohol program in another state?

Can someone move to another state before going to court for DUI and then return for the court hearing?

Asked on November 3, 2010 under Criminal Law, North Carolina


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

You are talking about two different things here.  Let's not put the cart before the horse, as they say.  You have been pulled over for DUI and have a court date pending.  Now you want to move.  Can you?  Well, you have been arrested but not convicted, right?  Although I would think that it may be best not to do so it may not be "illegal" per se.  I would, though, double check with your attorney on this.

Now, say you are convicted or plead to whatever and sentenced to participate in a DUI program as part of your probation or sentencing guidelines.  You are going to have to make a request that you be able to transfer your obligation to the other state and you are going to have to do the leg work to do so.  It is discretionary.  The judge does not have to allow it.  I would seek help from a criminal defense attorney in your area.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption