Can someone get a marriage annuled for fraud after being separated 7 years?

UPDATED: Jul 5, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 5, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can someone get a marriage annuled for fraud after being separated 7 years?

My boyfriend married someone 7 years ago who said she had cancer that was terminal and wanted someone to adopt her kids so they could be handed over to her parents instead of their own biological fathers. He married her and found out 6 months later that she was faking chemo to make it look like she had cancer but didn’t actually have it. They did an informal separation, and he thought that he couldnt get the marriage annulled in Iowa, so they are just leaving things as they are for now. Can he get it annulled now since she refuses to divorce him? Would he be responsible for her debts now?

Asked on July 5, 2012 under Family Law, Nebraska


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Different states in this country have different laws with respect to the annulment of a marriage. However, from what you have written about your boyfriend, the delay of six (6) years plus after his marriage knowing that he was lied to with respect to one basis for marrying his wife most likely precludes him from getting an annulment.

If he wishes to divorce his wife, he simply needs to file a petition for such in the county and state of his residence and serve such upon his wife to get the process moving. Your boyfriend would not be legally responsible for his wife's debts from the time of his separation from her onward. I suggest that your boyfriend consult with a family law attorney about the matter you have written.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption