Can someone demand that I owe them money if we were in a 50-50 partnership?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can someone demand that I owe them money if we were in a 50-50 partnership?

We bought a cottage to fix up with 2 other people. It was agreed upon in the very beginning that everything would be split 50-50 cost-wise. And in the end that we would sell at a 50-50 split. However, 1 year after we purchased the property and 6 months after we finished working on the property, a problem arose. Our business partner decided that he worked harder on the property then we did and now that we are going to sell, he wants $3,000 more for his time

instead of splitting the profit 50-50 as was agreed to in the beginning. I do not think that we should give them any more money but am I obligated to pay? There were no written nor verbal agreements; it was 6 months after the fact that he decided we did not meet his expectations.

Asked on June 15, 2016 under Business Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If the agreement was a 50-50 split in cost and then later a 50-50 split in profits, that is what he is entitled to--no more and no less. (There is always at least an oral agreement [inaccurately but commonly called a "verbal" agreement]--the oral agreement is what you discussed and agreed to, even if it lacks detail and specificity.) He cannot unilaterally (on his own) amend the agreement to require greater payment to him due to his allegedly greater "sweat equity."
Of course, if he feels strongly enough otherwise, he may sue you--even when someone has a bad or weak case, it's almost impossible to stop them from suing and forcing you to respond to the lawsuit. And suits without a written agreemen are always chancier than ones with, since there is nothing in writing for the court to refer to--it all comes down to who does the court believe, and if he is prepared to testify that there was an agreement that he'd get more due his greater work, it's possible that he could convince a court of that. Rather than face possible litigation and the risk of losing, you may wish to try to settle with him for some lesser amount you can live with paying.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption