Can my aunt live with her spouse in Viet Nam but still keep her new U.S. citizenship?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my aunt live with her spouse in Viet Nam but still keep her new U.S. citizenship?

My aunt lives in the US for a total of 12 years. She has been a U.S. citizen for 1 year but she will be marrying a Vietnamese Citizen. Can she live with her spouse in Viet Nam but still keep her U.S. Citizenship? If yes, what will happen if she have children? I heard she has to be a citizen for at least 5 years for her children to automatically become citizen.

Asked on March 12, 2016 under Immigration Law, California


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

She will retain her citizenship even if she moves outside the US.  For her current children who are under 18, they automatically become us citizens when she becomes a citizen.  For any children to be born, they will be US citizens if they are born to her even if it is abroad.  She will simply need to register their birth with the US Embassy wherever she is living.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption