Can Salle Mae still collect even ifI did not complete my schooling?

UPDATED: Feb 10, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 10, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can Salle Mae still collect even ifI did not complete my schooling?

I have a loan through Salle Mae for 10k. I attended the school that was a complete bust. They were misleading and misinforming. I did not stay for the length of the course and now the Salle Mae is trying to collect on a loan that shouldn’t of been paid.

Asked on February 10, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you took out a loan for a school, you have to repay that loan. It doesn't matter whether you completed or not; thought the school was worthwhile or not; even whether the school was a fraud--you have to repay the loan. The obligation to repay is NOT dependent on how much value you received from what you took the loan out for.

On the other hand, if the school either misrepresented itself or its programs to you, or in some  way did not honor its own contractual obligations to you (e.g. did not provide some of the course or resources or programs it was supposed to when you signed the agreement to go), then you may have a cause of action against the school. In that case, you may be able to sue it to recover your tuition, costs, and potentially other damages.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption