Can parole be revoked for not appearing for a non-scheduled visit?

UPDATED: Oct 31, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 31, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can parole be revoked for not appearing for a non-scheduled visit?

My son is on parole and has abided by all rules. He is working hours away. His parole officer called and wanted him to report in. Due to his being in an area (the country) with no cell phone service, he was not able to make it in time. Can his parole be revoked for this? He was sceduled for a visit 2 days later and called his parole officer as soon as he could.

Asked on October 31, 2010 under Criminal Law, Nebraska


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Missing a parole visit is not a good thing but from what you have said here it was not a regularly scheduled visit.  What did his parole officer say when he called in?  Did he go to the other visit he was scheduled for?  Parole officers have great power in these type of things so it was smart of you to be concerned.  Here is my other concern: is working that far away and without immediate contact a violation of his probation?  I would make sure that all is in compliance. Now, if the probation officer gives you a hard time speak with an attorney about it.  having a job is one of the first steps toward rehabilitation and these days any job any where is a good thing.  Maybe if the officer gives him a hard time you should consider asking for a judge to rule on things and allow him to work so far away.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption