Can or should I take her back to court or forcing a divorce?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can or should I take her back to court or forcing a divorce?

After gradually moving her things out and stealing many valuables from me, my wife moved back in with her parents. After about a month, I had her served with divorce papers. She was not granted the amount of money she wanted and refused to sign. The judge told her that she would not get more and that she could not get anything else that was in the house until she signed. After 3 years and after enduring harassment, threats and unbearable amounts of stress, I am beyond ready for this to be over. What can I do to get the court to grant a divorce or make her sign the papers?

Asked on January 13, 2018 under Family Law, Mississippi


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Please, please, please go and hire a competant attorney to help you.  Mississippi has a no fault divorce statute and there is no reason you must be held a prisoner by your wife.  You may need to go to trial on the issues of assets and spousal support but there will be an end at least to the madness. Mississippi allows for lump sum aliony payments as well as periodic payment.  Let a judge issue a ruling and get it over with.  She can not get from you what you yet to have - an inheritiance for example.  Offer her no more.  Play hardball and get her out of your life.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption