Cana statekeep life insurance money to pay Medicaid?

UPDATED: Jul 13, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 13, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Cana statekeep life insurance money to pay Medicaid?

My mother passed away in 2009. Mom left 1/3 to each of her 3 sons of her life insurance. However, OH is keeping the money to see if they can apply it to her Medicaid bill. The 3 of us are named on her insurance and I want OH to either release the funds or cite the law giving them the right to the funds. What can I do?

Asked on July 13, 2010 under Insurance Law, Ohio


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

You can write to the insurance company that the policy is with and advise them that there is - and I quote - an ADVERSE CLAIM being made to the funds of the policy number xyz123 whose listed beneficiaries are A, B and C and that because the adverse claim is being made you with that the Insurance Company INTERPLEAD the funds in to Court until such time as a Judge can make a determination as to its proper disbursement.  Ask them to send a letter that they are in fact doing so. If they do not do so then seek legal help from an attorney who can do it as well on your behalf.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption