Can new business owners go off your W-2 from the prior owners even though your take home pay changed a great deal?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can new business owners go off your W-2 from the prior owners even though your take home pay changed a great deal?

I work at a hotel that just got new owners. I never filled out a W-2 for the new owners, just to find out that

they went off prior W-2 from the old owners. My monthly income has dropped a lot do to them cutting my hours. Can they do that with my W-2 without my consent?

Asked on February 3, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

There is no specific requirement that a new W2 be filled out in all cases when a company or business is sold. In particular, if the hotel had been owned by an LLC or corporation and the LLC or corporation was purchased by owners, then you are still working for the same entity (the same LLC or corporation), which just itself has new owners. That said, you can certainly ask to change your withholding if you want.
They have the right to cut your hours, unless you have a written employment contract guarantying your hours, since in the absence of a contract, employee hours (and pay) are 100% under the control of the employer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption