Can My wife take the kids and live out of state? I live in Oregon

UPDATED: Jul 2, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can My wife take the kids and live out of state? I live in Oregon

She left for a 5 week vacation to Oklahoma and now says that she is going to stay there with the kids and to not come on her parents property unless I want to be arrested! I love my kids and just want to be there dad. I have no desire to fight with her. We have not filed for divorce or a legal separation. How can she do this ? Please help

Asked on July 2, 2009 under Family Law, Oregon


Mark Kramer / Kramer & Associates

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I can help you.  If the children have resided her for the past 6 months or more, Oregon has exclusive jurisdiction.  You should file a petition for divorce and seek custody and a temporary custody order.  Let's talk.  



IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption