Can my wife of just under 4 years get alimony?

UPDATED: Jul 31, 2016

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 31, 2016Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my wife of just under 4 years get alimony?

We live in colorado, have no children,
and we lived in her mother’s basement.
Wife is still currently living with her
mother as she always has.

Asked on July 31, 2016 under Family Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If you provided all or most of the economic support for the two of you (that is, you were the primary or only breadwinner), then she will most likely be eligible for spousal support or alimony--possibly only on a temporary (a few years) basis, owing to the brevity of your marriage. If the two of you were more or less equal economically, she is unlikely to get alimony; if she earned more than you, it's possible you would get alimony from her.
Not having children does not affect alimony, though it does mean you'd not owe child support, of course. Child support and alimony are separate.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption