Can my wife move her adult lover into the marital home before the divorce or separation?

UPDATED: Sep 14, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 14, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my wife move her adult lover into the marital home before the divorce or separation?

My wife had an affair, very public in front of our children. meeting and romantic, but not sexual in front of them. Then they went together to get a restraining order to throw me out of the house, so that she can move her lover in with her and the kids. Is it legal for her to do this, and what legal rights do I have to protect my kids from such confusing and immoral acts done in their presence without any divorce or separation being done?

Asked on September 14, 2011 under Family Law, Massachusetts


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Can she do it?  Yes she can.  Can you object and try and prevent it?  Yes, you definitely can.  Depending on how you indeed portray the matter t the court and given the fact that she has violated the bonds of marriage, I think that you have an argument to make before a judge that she is acting against the best interest of your children.  Adultery today is not like years ago in most states.  Although some states do consider it when deciding certain issues, generally it is not a factor (because it is a fault factor).  But, it may indeed be considered by judges in some jurisdictions in cases regarding the children.  So speak with an attorney about how you can spin this in your favor, get a restraining order for him and an order forbidding him to stay in the hosue while the kids are there.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption