Can my wife evict me from a home she bought with inheritance money from her dad?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my wife evict me from a home she bought with inheritance money from her dad?

My wife is asking me to leave the home we live in that was purchased with money that she got from her dad after he passed away. Up until this year I had always made quite a bit more money than my wife and had paid for most things including to repair this home and make it livable. A few months ago I cashed in a retirement account that I had had since before we were married. My wife had mentioned she wasnt happy then but I said I wanted to try and make it work and would pay off all the bills we had at the time and pay to fix her car. She agreed then but now that all of the bills are paid and I am out of money she says I need to leave and has threatened eviction. I also work from the home so this could also cause me to lose my job if I do not have a quiet stable work environment.

Asked on February 24, 2016 under Family Law, Missouri


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Until there is a final decree of divorce or a formal separation or other legal document that states otherwise is in effect, both spouses have equal rights to the "marital residence". This is true no matter whose name that the title is in. So unless, you have put your wife in fear for her safety, you cannot legally be asked to remove yourself from the premises. That having been said, this does not mean that you will have rights to the house in a divorce settlement. For further information, you should consult directly with a divorce attorney in your area.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption