Can my 2 siblings take full ownership of our inherited house if I refuse to pay part of the property tax, insurance or maintenance?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my 2 siblings take full ownership of our inherited house if I refuse to pay part of the property tax, insurance or maintenance?

Our late mom left me and my 2 siblings her home. My brother, the executor of her Trust or Will, said that he would not share details with me but has been living there ever since my mom was moved to a nursing home. He’s been using her money to renovate more like neglect it and is now in worse condition and cannot be rented out, pay expenses. New Link Destination
avoid fights, I leave him alone. My sister moved in with him later. They didn’t want to sell the house because they want to live in it. My problem is that they want me to pay 1/3 of the property tax insurance. Knowing my brother, he’d make me pay for maintenance too. I had asked them to sell it or buy out my share. They agree to buy out my share but they want to pay in installment. I don’t mind that if only they are credible and they are definitely and absolutely not our mom also left us $100,000 each. The house is worth around $800,000 as is. I told them if they give me $100,000 each, I’ll sell them my share. They have not responded. I then asked them to pay the taxes insurance in full, once the house is sold the proceed divided equally, then I will reimburse them. They claim that if I don’t pay, I will lose ownership of the house. Is this true? What shall I do? I live in southern CA and the house is in northern CA. If I file for partition, do I have to file it in northern CA where the house is? or can I file electronically? It would be extremely difficult for me to travel there because of my work. I have 3 jobs and work on weekends too. What is the best solution for me?

Asked on October 23, 2018 under Real Estate Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

No, you will not lose ownership if you don't pay a share of the expenses. All that could happen is that if this ends up before a court, such as if you bring a lawsuit to force the sale of the home (as you could), or the home is sold and you and they end up in court fighting over who gets how much of the proceeds, a court may very well take account of th fact that you are not paying these essential costs and reduce your share of any proceeds appropriately. So you could lose money you would otherwise have gotten at any eventual sale due to this, but they can't take your ownership or share of the house away from you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption