Can my supervisor ask me to leave early?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my supervisor ask me to leave early?

I was hired as a full time and my supervisor tells me to leave early 3 hours into
the day. I decide to stay and clock out online when I leave at the end of the
day. It was then edited and by my supervisor without my knowledge. Is this legal?

Asked on April 14, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

It is *completely* legal. Your supervisor can determine your hours: they can ask you to come in early or stay late or work on weekends...or to leave early. Your employer, in the form of your supervisor, and not you determines you work hours. You have no right to put in for pay (i.e. to put in time) for hours when you were told to not work, and so your supervisor can adjust the hours to reflect what you were authorized to work. The extra hours you worked you basically volunteered or worked for free, since your employer does not have to pay you for any hours they told you to not work.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption