Can my son move out of my home if he is on probation?

UPDATED: Nov 10, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 10, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my son move out of my home if he is on probation?

My son was 15 when he got into a fight and broke a boy’s eye socket. They pressed charges and he was found guilty of a designated felony charge. It was his first offence, he had never been in trouble with the law. He was sentenced to 5 years;2 years served in a YDC facility and 3 years probation. He served his 2 years and is home and has complied with all his probation; he has a full-time job, and is paying for his car and insurance. He is now 19 years old and wants to move out and get his own place. Is there any reason by law he cannot move out of my home? His case manager is saying he can’t move out.

Asked on November 10, 2010 under Criminal Law, Georgia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

From the way you have written the facts in this matter is makes one shutter that your son would be found guilty of such an offense for a fight at 15.  Lucky for him he was a youth and you should double check to make sure that his record was sealed as it should have been.  Now, the conditions of his probation will govern his movements and his actions.  Do the conditions state that he must live at home?  Then if they do not I failt to see why he can not move out.  He is a legal adult and can support himself.  I would double check with an attorney in your area.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption