Can my son migrate with me to the US even if the date of marriage indicated on his birthcertificate is wrong?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my son migrate with me to the US even if the date of marriage indicated on his birthcertificate is wrong?

I am migrating to the us thru work. I had 2
previous marriages, the 2nd one was bigamous
because the first marriage was not annulled,
now, both marriages has been dissolved thru
annulment. I married my 2nd wife again to
make it legal. We have a son, and on his birth
certificate, it still contains the date of my 2nd
marriage. Would it cause a problem in our
papers? Does it matter what date of marriage
is indicated on his birth certificate? Please note
that i am the principal sponsor and i am on the
eb1 petition, and i am from the philippines.

Asked on February 22, 2016 under Immigration Law, Alaska


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

It should not matter that the date of your marriage appears on the birth certificate.  It is the fact that you are the indicated parent of the child that is more relevant in this case. As long as the child's birth certificate has your name, then your child will be eligible for the dependent visa.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption