Can my sister’s boyfriend sell their home ?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my sister’s boyfriend sell their home ?

Sister passed away Dec.2015 was
living with Jon, they went in
together to purchase. My niece
tried calling the finance co.
to see what was happening. They
will not talk to her cause she
doesn’t have an executor of
estate?. Apparently someone
else has either purchased the
home r is renting. She needs
some legal advise please..Jon
will not answer anyone’s call r
texts…Please help

Asked on November 16, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If they "went in together" to purchase, they presumably were both on the title; they most likely owned the property with right of survivorship, which means that when one of the owners passed away, it automatically became the sole property of the other owner, without going through probate. That means it would most likely have become your sister's boyfriend's home, and he could do whatever he liked with it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption