Can my separation papers be overturnedifIsigned them under duress?

UPDATED: Feb 26, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 26, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my separation papers be overturnedifIsigned them under duress?

My wife bullied me into signing her separation papers by making threats and causing several fights in front of my 3 children. I was not at all in agreement with this but we couldn’t take anymore of her threats and making my kids upset on a regular basis. She has left my 3 kids and I here in NC and she has moved back to NY. She had a job here in NC as a nurse and I have been the primary care giver to my kids since moving here to NC in20 07. My kids and I don’t want to leave NC to move back to NY but her papers say that once they are done with school in June that they are to move to NY.

Asked on February 26, 2011 under Family Law, North Carolina


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Generally speaking, if you sign any papers under duress then you have the right to have them set aside by the courts.  But one would really need to see the paperwork here.  Who prepared it?  An Attorney on her behalf?  Did you seek legal counsel at all?  I think that you really need to go and see an attorney in this matter as soon as you can.  You are going to have to fight this.  You may not have to move to New York if North Carolina is yours and the children's home, but you have not given much information about al of the circumstancesin order to give any guidance.  Get legal help here.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption