Can my previous employer tell my grandparents that I was fired for failing a random frug test?

UPDATED: Sep 7, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 7, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my previous employer tell my grandparents that I was fired for failing a random frug test?

I’m 23 years old.

Asked on September 7, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this coutnry it is allowable for an employer to advise third parties such as your grandparents issues with an employee if such is true. From what you have written, there was nothing illegal for your prior employer to have advised your grandparents that you were terminated due to failing a random drug test.

Doing so is somewhat odd from a labor standpoint. However, your former employer may have wanted to let family members know the reasons why you were terminated so you can possibly get assistance on a perceived substance abuse issue.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption