Can my pay be taken away?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my pay be taken away?

I currently live in Baltimore Maryland and work for Lowe’s Home Improvement. My current pay rate is 23/hr. I am moving November 1st to Hebron Maryland which is about 2 hours away. I will still be working for Lowe’s, however, they are paying me 5 less/hr and I’m still in a Manager’s position. They said that it’s because of cost living. Easton, where I’ll be working is a wealthy area. I just feel like this is not right as a tenured employee of the company 6 years.

Best regards,
Shaun Seifert

Asked on October 26, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Maryland


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

It's not right, but it regretably is legal unless you have a written employment contract guarantying or locking in your pay. The problem is, without a contract, you are an "employee at will." While most people focus on the fact that being an employee at will means you can be terminated at any time, it also means that the employer has total control over your job, pay, and benefits, and can change or reduce your wages at any time, for any reason, even frankly assinine  ones.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption